MERCH!

Monday, April 20, 2015

From the correspondence of Dr. Piotr Korolev


Dear Stephen: 
No.
Not only no, but damn you for even asking. 
I know the way that governments work and I know my protestations will fall on deaf ears, but if you or your friends at the DIA have any sense at all you will leave all that madness behind you. I don't know what the theory-du-jour is. I am sure I don't care. Whether magic is some form weak electromagnetic force, or it's some kind of natural nano-tech or whatever the engineers say...I will have no part in the work, and if you value your health and sanity you will abandon it yourself.

Thirty years ago, I was part of a similar experiment for the KGB. Both Sanderson and Rupesh know about it. We've talked about it. But, what they don't know is how it all ended. 

It ended in fire. 

There is a whole lobe whose functions we only poorly understand, and with the limited technology we had available, we were well on our way to finding drugs that could enhance neural connectivity. We tested sensitives and a few charlatans as a control group and we found the drug trials well on the way to helping a number of the test subjects. Some gained conscious control over their powers for the first time in their lives.

But, as I stressed time and time again in the official reports, most of the people we tested would not have been subjects for any kind of military applications. Most of them were frail individuals when we brought them on, and if there was magic in them, it tended to express itself peacefully and creatively. These were not the weapons the Politburo was hoping for. Someone at the Politburo felt differently, and the entire experiment was turned over to the military. In a way, I was lucky. I was on holiday on the weekend that the trucks rolled up to the facility. I'm sure my strident voice made me the sort of person who they wanted out of the way when this occurred.

What they didn't understand, what they NEVER understood, was that the mind is like a house, an attic for long term memories and senses, a yard with millions of tiny blades of living grass, a living room where all the thinking and feeling is done, and so on and so forth. But they failed to remember that the house is built on the foundation of the more primitive brain we evolved up from. The basement of the house was that R-Complex. That lizard brain that gives us the fight or flight response, the MOST powerful emotional response in the mind. Utter rage or utter terror...and what those fools found out is that the R-complex, being pre-rational will use ANY resource it has. It is the home of superhuman feats of strength on the part of mothers saving their children from being crushed. It is also the home of the fiendish strength of madmen.

The fools, they tried to scare twenty-one sensitives into compliance, sensitives we had enhanced and trained beyond any capability they had ever seen, and that we...rightfully...were scared to report.

They all died, Stephen. Every single one of them. The children. The hospital workers. My entire staff. Every single one of the soldiers. The entire facility burned to the ground. A friend wrote me three weeks ago and he tells me that grass and trees still won't grow on the hill. Most people nowadays think the place was a secret nuclear facility, or that it was haunted...Or both.

I beg of you, do not proceed.
Yours, Piotr

No comments:

Post a Comment