MERCH!

Monday, March 16, 2015

From the Street Magi's Guide (5)


Magick, like pimping, is easy. 
You can find it in any human endeavor. It's everywhere. It's in the wind of a particular alley. It's in the rain cleaning the grass. It's in the low moan behind a wall or the cry of a saxophone on a fire escape. Magick is like a groove. It's already there. All you have to know is how to tap it. And all you have to do to do that is feel it and lean into it. Magick isn't a grab the universe by the throat and make it give you what you want kind of thing, or if it is, it operates poorly for that. No, Magick is for filling up your soul when you are feeling empty, wrung out and done. You throw your personal energy at the things in your life that require it, but unless you've got something in your life that feeds you in return, you'll end up empty, on the shoulder, thumbing.

Some people go to nature. Me, I'll never say no to sitting on the back porch watching a real cracker of a thunderstorm. I like a drink on occasion, when I watch a storm. Feeling that chaos always energizes me.
Others find it in other places. A guy I know does theater. He comes home after a hard days work, showers, shits, shaves, changes clothes, wolfs down some kind of dinner and then back out into the night to rehearse. He gets home bone-tired and brain burned, but his smile betrays that something is feeding him. And tomorrow, he'll do it all over again.
Me? I like music. All kinds. Every single song is a prayer, you know. Some are more reverent than others, of course, but any kind of music holds a doorway into a larger groove. I get it from drums. Give me drums and a nasty bass line and I am a thousand years old, dancing under the stairs drawing down the power of the god and the goddess into me. Give me Santana on guitar or maybe even Frank Zappa and I am far away and over the horizon. It's easy to be there

Magick is easy. It's what comes with magick that isn't. Lies. Secrets. Trouble. New responsibilities. Demands on your time, your energy, your soul. 

Okay, so I lied. Magick ain't easy.
Neither is pimping.


No comments:

Post a Comment